Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Few Thoughts On Envy (part2)

I have recently finished reading the book of Job; what an amazing book from the Bible. I will confess that for a number of years I just could not "get into" the real meaning and purpose of the book, and the depth of it's meaning. I am not going to try to expound on the details of the conversation between Job and his close enemies. The part that strikes me whenever I read Job is what God had to say to Job after all of man's wisdom has expired. God asked Job a few questions: "tell me if you can"; and Job couldn't

I am perfectly satisfied with the notion that I do not always understand God's ways. I do not have all of the answers and any attempts on my part to speak for God only ever sounds trite and hyper-Christian. I do not speak hype, I am somewhat fluent in faith; very big difference. God is God and He can do what He wants; I do not need to understand, so I may not have a lot comfort; but we can pray and seek God in our difficulties. Hype always tries to tie a pretty little bow on our trials, and hype always simplistically attempts to make a lists of what God does in certain situations. Word of Faith people used to say "you are sick because you are weak in your faith, or there is sin in your life", much like Job's friends did; God was not pleased with them.

My second thought on envy is based in the realization that I do not always understand. Why others are blessed and it seems like I have been looked over...again. Remember King David had a similar dilemma; why do the wicked prosper?

"If I truly believe that every good and perfect gift comes from above; gifts to me, and gifts from God to others. I refuse to compare myself to others; my gifts are from God, to me, so I will work with what I have been given".

I am a minister and an assistant pastor I see other men my age and many younger with seemingly less gifting who seem to be blessed with big churches, successful ministries and Biblical titles; why not me? Envy might try to raise it's hands and slow me down with questions about why always others. Honestly I am blessed beyond what I could have imagined. I do not need to be part of a big church I only need to walk in the confidence and gifting that God has given me. I am not a great anything but God has given me me gifts. Comparing myself to others is a trap and a pit; I will not be envious of others. God has generously blessed my life.

4 comments:

  1. Hard subject, most do not want to deal with it. It is so taboo a subject it is ignored even though we all must deal with it. Great Post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If I truly believe that every good and perfect gift comes from above; gifts to me, and gifts from God to others. I refuse to compare myself to others; my gifts are from God, to me, so I will work with what I have been given" this quote is so great what verse in the bible is it from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure why the quotation marks in this but the paragraph is based in a scripture in James (1:17) Every good and perfect gift comes from the Father of lights in whom there is no variableness or shadow of turning.

      Delete