Sunday, December 12, 2010

Winter Blizzard 2010...Woolly Caterpillar Revisited

Remember how that the woolly caterpillar predicted a severe winter that would last 4 1/2 months?
http://franklin-notsofrankly.blogspot.com/2010/10/wooly-bear-catepillar.html

Well this blizzard has been our fourth snowfall. The first snow of winter happened back before November 15th. An official (woolly caterpillar) snowfall is enough snow to track a cat in (not that woolly caterpillars often track cats), so anything greater than a half of an inch would be enough I guess. So, why a cat? I am not sure, but they are light on there feet and hate the snow and cold I guess...just like me. Wind chills and low temps are expected to be around -12 below, with strong winds over the next couple of days; I would say that is harsh (severe) enough to count.

Any way here are some photos of our snowfall; we had 12 to 14 inches (I think). We did not go to church today, services were still held for the ones who could get out, and into to town, and up the hill to get to church.

The platform feeder right outside our front window

Our walkway lights




Our house...where is that roof rake?

Our road, no plows out yet


Oh by the way I did see the male Cardinal this morning and a pair of House Finches; here they are as well.

2 comments:

  1. CALEB: wow! that is o'lot of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday, 12/14/10 when I started up the car to take Anna to school, the car said outside temp. -28. By the time I droved about 1/2 mile down the road...-30; by the time I was in town by Anna's school...-9. When it is cold....it is really cold in Ringle! On Sunday we had snow drifts up to my waist over by the steer.

    ReplyDelete