Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Cold Weather Calico Beans

As long as we were snowed in and had a whole day at home I decided to cook something that I have never cooked before. I first ate Calico Beans at the hospital where I used to work, one of the cooks assured me that if I liked BBQ's and baked beans that I would like calico (funeral) beans, and she was right. So here is the recipe, it is pretty simple and does not require much preparation. You just gotta love a simple recipe.

Calico beans must be the ultimate "comfort" food, they are served a funerals all of the time.


Calico Beans
1     pound Ground Beef
6     oz        Bacon   (sliced into 1/4 inch slices)
1/2              Large Onion    (diced)
1     tsp       Garlic    (I used prepared garlic from a jar)
          (cook until beef is done)

1     can     Kidney Beans 15 oz
1     can     Baked Beans   15 oz
1     can     Butter Beans   15 oz    (I drained some of the liquid from the beans)
1/2  cup    Catsup or Chili Sauce
1     Tbsp   Cider Vinegar
1     Tbsp   Dry Mustard
1/2  Cup   Br. Sugar
   (place all ingredients into frying pan and cook until blended and warm)
Salt and pepper to taste

Place in a bean pot or cake pan and bake for  40 mins at 350.
(I covered my pan with foil for the first 20 mins. (no bean pot) and uncovered for final 20 mins).

No comments:

Post a Comment