Thursday, February 3, 2011

Alrightnowyoutellme (6 partial reveal)

Well this has been a very popular post and Caleb was right, it is a bat. What you are looking at is the thumb of a bat. The bat is sort of a five fingered creature but the thumb is the only one that has a "nail". It does look a lot like a talon that might be on a birds foot, but alas it is not.


Any guesses on what type of bat you are looking at? It is a Wisconsin bat found along the Mississippi River. I shot the photo up into the nesting box with my flash, so I could get a good exposure. Keep guessing; this is fun...for me. Way to go Caleb, you guessed right.

2 comments:

  1. After some investigating we (Caleb and I) think it is a Little Brown Bat (Myotis lucifugus). I say this because is the most common Myotis (Mouse eared) species in the northern two-thirds of the United States. Frequently found in tree hollows and buildings during the summer, it often roosts with big brown bats. It is most likely found near rivers, lakes, or marshes. In winter, it flies to the nearest suitable cave or abandoned mine to hibernate.
    So.. is that it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a Brown Bat; I am not sure of the size as I remember. It could be a Big Brown Bat; it would be about two times as large as a Little Brown Bat. But you are correct, I am pretty sure it is a Little Brown Bat.

    ReplyDelete