Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Crandon Breakfast (a tribute to Grandma and Grandpa Kincaid)


My Grandma and Grandpa Kincaid lived in Crandon Wisconsin; what sweet people and wonderful memories.

I did something this morning I hardly ever do; I pan fried bacon. It is not that I never do it it just happens so seldom around here, generally my wife who loves bacon, will fry some or microwave some and eat but we usually don't buy it. My daughter in law Leah works at Nueskes and will gift us some every once in a while. Bacon is sort of a Mary thing, don't get me wrong I like it but not enough to buy very much of it.

Love Birds
Last week I was making some meat loaf for some older friends from church who are not well, and I bought bacon. I checked the freezer and we had some in a small bag but I thought I might need more to wrap around the loaf with, so bought a package of bacon, and never used it. Well this morning I found the bacon and fried up the package, and when I was done the pan had bacon grease and some bacon scraps in the pan so I thought I would fry some eggs. As I am frying them I thought of Grandma and Grandpa Kincaid and all of those mornings she would fry up bacon and then fry up some eggs for me. We would go up on weekends and stay at the Jennie house; it was a house that my parents bought from Al Gish (??? or Greskusky???, I am sure I got that wrong) Jenny (his mom???) used to live there and I think she died there as well; there are a lot of ghost stories about that house. Well anyway I was always up first, so I would walk across the yard between the two houses. As a pre-teen it was exciting to get grandma and grandpa all to myself; it would be very exciting now to spend time with them...someday on a beautiful heavenly morning.

Grandmas and Grandpas house in Crandon...it's gone now.
Grandma would fry the bacon, and then, fry the eggs, that way you would get eggs that were sort of dirty looking. It seemed they just tasted better that way. Grandpa would start talking about politics and religion; the two things that got him most fired up. The bad guys were the Republicans and the Pope. Too funny, I can almost hear it all as I write. Any way my Crandon breakfast consisted of bacon, dirty bacon grease eggs (with just a little crusty brown ring around the edges because the pan was too hot...just like grandma), coffee, and toast. Some of the toast for sopping up the yolk and some for the open faced toasted egg sandwich (because egg whites all by themselves are sort of boring) and one more slice for toast and jelly as dessert. It was awesome.

3 comments:

  1. Breakfast at Grandma and Grandpa Kincaid's was the BEST! I use to be scared to sleep in the Jenni house - because it WAS haunted - NO REALLY! I remember one time, Frank, Lori and our cousin Tippy scared me and locked me in the house all by myself and I was screaming and crying until they let me out and I ran all the was across the yard to Grandma's - I know they were in big trouble - my Grandma had a way of making you feel bad for doing something even without yelling. Anyway, because of the trauma inflicted on me by my siblings....I use to get to sleep at Grandma's house. She had a little bed next to her big bed. It was heavenly! I use to love waking up the smell of bacon and eggs. Dad usually was up first too in the kitchen with Grandma and Grandpa. Another good thing was that the kitchen table always had plates of baked cookies covered up with a dish towel, you would never know what treat was under the towel. It was always good! I feel sorry for those of you who didn't have as blessed of a childhood as the "Ritchie" kids. We were and are BLESSED! Thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like great memories! I don't know when these pictures were taken, but that is exactly how I remember both Grandpa and Grandma Kincaid and their house. I am guessing not much had changed in the 15-20 years from the time these were taken until I was old enough to remember them. I can close my eyes and still walk though the old house. On thing I can distinctly remember about Grandma Kincaid was when she would make bread she would whistle while she kneeded the dough, only it wasn't a whistle sound, it was just he sound of the air going through her lips. AND I remember the cool cups at her house. They were fire dogs and the covers were their hats and you would put a straw through it.=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete