Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Question To Ask Yourself...It Could Change A Life (1)

What can I do to make a difference?


Everyone, and I mean everyone wants to feel like their life matters somehow. Your life matters to you and everyone around you is living a life that matters to them. I will say up front that I do not have all of the answers to all of the problems in my own life, much less, the answers to the all the situations that people around me face. But I can make a difference.

I received a call from a very close friend. I have set across the table from this guy many times, and together, we were able to hammer out the problems of world. Simple, actually nothing was at stake for us so it was easy. Tonight he called and told me of a tragedy in his family and how his wife and daughter are really struggling with the mess. When it all hits a little closer to home the problems get a bit more complicated; the trite, "hang in there" sentiments actually seem a little thoughtless and almost insulting. What can I do to make a difference in that situation? I am not sure, but I am working on it.

It seems that the longer I live the less I really think I know, when I was younger I pretty much knew it all; but I don't now. But I do understand this, that going the extra mile matters to people. You do not need to have all of the answers, people around us simply need to know that we will not bail out on them when the going gets difficult, and that we are willing to do what we can.

If you really want to make a difference in the lives of other people, go the extra mile. Jesus spoke of walking two miles with a friend even if they ask you to only walk one. Just do something!

Call someone just to encourage them or just listen
Drop a little card in the mail, or send a text or e-mail just to say, "Hi"
Look an elder in the eye and thank them for their friendship and for being a good example
Tell someone that they are doing a good job
Pat someone on the back
Buy a fast food "Happy Go Lucky Meal" and give the toy to a nephew, niece or neighbor kid
Say something nice about someone else
Find someone to go with you to get a Chicago style hot dog (at Mikes) and spend an hour being together
Visit someone
Cook a meal for a shut-in, or a sick neighbor
Try to restore a broken friendship

I think that is what Jesus would do...Who will be Jesus to them?

(The hot dog was great Mark, in a couple of weeks let's go look for a good burger)

No comments:

Post a Comment