Monday, January 17, 2011

Alrightnowyoutellme 5 (reveal) Northern Crescent Butterfly


Yes thank you very much. For letting me know that my clues meant absolutely nothing. I was wrong in my  guess of what type of butterfly this was; it was Mary's fault...thats my story and I am sticking to it. Thank you Hank and Leah for pointing out my mistakes, I am certain that I am a better person now because of you.

The butterfly is somewhat of a question in butterfly circles. Even people who know butterflies (and I don't) have difficulty determining between the Northern Crescent Butterfly and the Pearl Crescent Butterfly.

I found another photo of this butterfly
"The Pearl Crescent is one of the most common and widespread butterflies in the eastern United States. It is also one of the hardest butterflies to identify with certainty, because of two very similar butterflies, the Northern and Tawny Crescents. The Northern Crescent was only separated from the Pearl Crescent in the last 25 years, and therefore distribution maps where these two overlap are somewhat suspect. In Michigan, the distribution maps in the 1999 edition ofMichigan Butterflies & Skippers show the Northern Crescent as mainly a northern species, while the Pearl is a more southern species and there is little overlap. In Wisconsin, I think that there is a much broader overlap of these two species and throughout central Wisconsin their identification brings many headaches." 
Wisconsin Butterflies.org http://wisconsinbutterflies.org/butterfly/species/77-pearl-crescent


See in central Wisconsin "their identification brings many headaches." Yes this butterfly identification has given me a rather embarrassing headache. What is most embarrassing is that I did not confuse it with a Pearl Crescent but a completely different type of butterfly.


The Northern Crescent is fairly new butterfly for identification. It is classified as a True Bushfoot type of butterfly. The other types True Bushfoot Crescents are the Pearl Crescent, and the Tawny Crescent butterflies. These butterflies cover a rather large area of North America and it appears that central Wisconsin may part of a range that overlaps the species types.


You should have read the post about the Painted Lady Butterfly, which is what we thought this was; it was an awesome article, but I tossed it out. So anyway thank you, the name of this series of posts Alrightnowyoutellme; and you did. I am smarter because of it. Really, thank you.







1 comment:

  1. A rose by any other name smells just as sweet and Crescent butterfly by any other name is just as pretty.

    ReplyDelete