Thursday, January 10, 2013

Guitar Restoration

I was leaving work one day about 12 or so years ago and on the way I came across a sign for a Garage Sale, so I stopped. Near the end of the driveway as I was leaving I saw a guitar case. I lifted the lid a little and saw an old guitar with no strings, it was missing a front pickup, and no apparent means to attach the strings to the guitar body. "If you want it you can have it" a guy sitting near the edge of the garage door spoke out. I stared at it for a moment; all of my "junk genes" were screaming at me to pick it up. Trying not to look like a scavenger I picked it up and put it in my car.

Convinced that I was never going to use this for more than a wall decoration or a door stop I put it under the bed for a few years. I then placed it in the bedroom closet for a few more years, then into the basement after that. I thought that perhaps other guitar players might be interested (not so much interest) but honestly it was not much to look at and the idea of it ever being used again seemed unlikely.

I was cleaning in the basement looking for some cassette tapes...(I know I am hopeless). I was looking for a particular Christmas tape downstairs in the closet and there it was, the case that held the old guitar. I pulled it down and looked at it and wondered if it would ever hold tune again, if not maybe I could hang it on the wall in my office downstairs and just look at it. I am not much for having things around that just don't work anymore if I determine it is worthless I will toss it out. I just wasn't sure about this guitar.

I thought I would take it to the guitar shop and get a professional opinion, he never really touched it or expressed much interest and said he would give me $20 for it. If I bought a new guitar from him he would give me $40. I thought for 40 dollars I would just hang it on the wall and tell my lame old story about the junk guitar and the rummage sale.

Still not convinced that it was junk I looked up the guitar on the internet to look for parts...I was very pleasantly surprised...(the story will unfold).

1 comment: