Monday, May 2, 2011

How To Be An Insignificant Christian

I know that the title of this post seems very harsh and it likely is, but sometimes it seems that we need a wake up call every once in a while to cause us to realize that we could use a fresh inspiration in our Christianity. I recently got mine.

I was in the Goodwill store in Schofield the other day, and as I was standing there looking at the books, a childhood friend of my brothers came into the store and greeted me. His wife had passed away about three months ago from a heart attack. Phil looked empty and a little sad, he leaned on his cart and came over to where I was standing and gave me a weak smile. It was at that moment I had to make a decision. I could be caring and encouraging, or I could be an insignificant Christian.

A really good way to be an insignificant Christian is to be living, breathing cliché about other peoples  situations.

I understand that we often get uncomfortable and panicked not knowing what to say to help. Everyone understands that people pass away and I could have said something like "Well she is in a better place now" and ignore his suffering. Or maybe a "Hey all things work together for good", perhaps a  "This to shall pass" might help. Let's not forget that old faithful stand by, "Let go and let God." I must be sure to repeat these slogans to bring credibility to them; it will certainly begin to take hold in his heart after I repeat them a few times...(I jest).

Another really good way to be an insignificant Christian is to be sure that you have all of the answers and are ready to bless others with your vast life experiences.

There is nothing wrong with my admission that I can not imagine what he must be going through. I laid my hand on his back and told him that I would continue to pray for him; touching is important not just a pat on the back but a lifting of his heart.  We don't always have the right words, and Phil did not expect me to have all of the answers, he just needed a listening ear and caring heart. He is still hurting and I told him I would still pray for him.

Be Jesus to other people. After all Christianity means that we are trying to be Christ-like; if we are going to be like Jesus we must cast off the cliche'. John Maxwell says, "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." It may take a little effort but the rewards of actually being involved with, and caring for others is life changing for both parties involved. It is not however for the faint of heart. You know how when a newborn baby arrives at home, there are going to be midnight feedings or hours spent trying to care for them to be sure they stay healthy and fed. That may be what we need to do at times to practice real Christianity.

Have a real genuine relationship with God and it will be easier to be significant in the lives of others.


3 comments:

  1. Frank, this is really good. The example about bringing baby home is so true. Phil is such a big softy too. You would be proud of Lisa, he came into Walmart and she hugged him! She said he really needed one. I know one time you preached a service and the message was about how when Jesus told his diciples that when they go to a place and are not well received they should brush the dust off and move one. You said that you were praying for God to show you who to "help" - well, He did so - and in Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff. I know that sounds cliche, but it was a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! I think we have all been there. This really hits home, at least for me. I can think back to some situations where I am embarressed of how cliche I was and lacked "realness". I am always working on being a better, SIGNIFICANT Christian. =)

    ReplyDelete