Friday, September 17, 2010

The Slug Effect; No Beauty or Talent Required

Perhaps you have heard of a notion in Chaos Theory called, The Butterfly Effect. I know that a movie has been made to make all of this chaos seem a little more believable; science fiction? You bet! I do however firmly believe in chaos, the world is full of it. But the notion that the flap of a butterflies wing in Brazil causing a tornado in Texas seems a little bit of a stretch. It requires a greater level of imagination than I have; don't get me wrong I can imagine big things. Well actually I sometimes have trouble trying to imagine what a room will look like with a certain color of paint on the wall. Maybe I am a little imagination-ally challenged.

Chaos Theory is an attempt to explain the way things affect each other and the changes that said chaos brings to mathematics, physics, politics (talk about chaos), philosophy, weather, and the solar system; just to name a few arenas of potential chaos. Perhaps Chaos Theory is a means by which we try to explain things that we simply cannot explain; (I am giving myself a headache). I have an admission...I have no idea what that means to my existence. Oh sure if I was struck by lightning then I would be able to determine how a random chaotic event affected my life. It seems we always associate chaos with bad things.

It is just a slug. Any Chocolate?
The very idea that perhaps the flap of a gull's wings could affect climate change for centuries is preposterous. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that small seemingly insignificant decisions and choices have implications and affect the lives of others as well as ourselves. There is no way of knowing just how much "effect" an encouraging word could have upon a persons life. To think that I could speak words into someone's life that would bring change to their life, and perhaps the lives of their spouse and children, and maybe their grandchildren that are not even born yet. Maybe it could flow backwards and a man could reconcile with his father and the broken relationships could be mended and healed. Perhaps that mended relationship would have ripples that...use your imagination.

I call it the "Slug Effect". Butterflies are able to fly hundreds of miles to migrate to Texas and Mexico and beyond. They are pretty good flyers they are beautiful and random, and are able to take care of themselves. Slugs on the other hand are a little pathetic, they are ugly, they hardly move, and unless they are the subject of a science fiction movie of some sort, are almost always totally disregarded. All because it appears that they serve no useful purpose. Yuck. Maybe if the rolled them in pecans and covered them with chocolate, so they would be crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy in the middle like a candy bar, or maybe a box of slug chocolates.
Just look at the affect this little guy is having on his world...he is just a slug

The Bible is full of "slugs". People who had little or nothing to bring into a situation, yet through them  God would cause amazing, miraculous events to transpire. Seemingly helpless people He used so that there would be no question as to the power behind it all. You may feel like you have few talents or no abilities, and as a matter of fact it seems you have been told that very same thing all of your life; don't despair, change your world. God is able to use our most feeble efforts and do some amazing things; through you. Get out there and make your own little slime trail; you might be surprised at all of the lives and events you will affect.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff Frank, I will be sliming up the place and chaos is the normal state of being.

    ReplyDelete