Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Giant Thank You To The Choir

Sis. Anna Julson and the Lighthouse Choir. Very powerful singers.
Life is full of choices and changes. Recently my life had a major change; I left the only church that I have ever called home, and now go to church in a city about 45 minutes away. I was a minister at Lighthouse Pentecostal Church in Wausau, and now I am an Assistant Pastor (again, but this time) at Riverside Apostolic Church in Marshfield. There was an opportunity to pastor in a city about an hour north of here, but I had to follow my heart, so I am at Riverside.

I had been going to church in Wausau for literally almost my entire life over 40 years at least. I have led worship, given sermons and Wednesday night Bible studies, taught home Bibles studies, served on the church board a few times, taught Sunday school, and nearly every other thing a person could do to serve in a church. One thing I really, really enjoyed about church was singing in the choir, I was the oldest member and the most out of shape but I love to sing.

So when I left the choir all of the members gave me a love offering as a goodbye gift. It was a sacrifice of love and I truly appreciate, and will always remember the choir.

The other day I went into the music store to get some picks and one of those wall hangers for my guitar to keep it off the floor and out of harms way; when I saw "it". I walked up to this beautiful guitar and I knew I wanted it. Without picking it up I gently strummed the stings with one of my finger nails while it hung there, to hear if it had a bright sound; and it did. It sang to me. I made my other purchases and quickly walked out of the store, I did not need to raid my savings account or take on credit card debt so I left. I ran away from the temptation.

But after I was on the other side of town I realized that this would be the perfect way to spend my gift from the choir. Every time I would play my new guitar I would know exactly how I got it, and the sacrifices that others made for me to have it. The guitar was on sale (in a big way) so it turned out perfect.

A giant thank you to the choir; you are amazing and very generous.

No comments:

Post a Comment