Thursday, October 21, 2010

Alrightnowyoutellme

All Right now you tell me. An important part of learning; at any age, is being able to research something, and tell someone else about it. I will never be too old to learn, and either will you.

Tell me what it is. Scour the internet or a book from the shelf, and you figure it out. I will do a little studying and post an entry next week.

So you tell me what it "isssss". Here is a clue we found this fella on the road out near Wittenberg and Birnamwood. Oh and it is a snake. Clocks ticking!

Who  am I?

5 comments:

  1. I think it is a garter snake, but there are so many kinds it's hard to say which one. I'm going to say an Eastern Garter snake, Thamnophis sirtalis. They have live young and as many as 80 babies in a litter... and you guys thought twins were hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a Butler's Garter Snake. Although a Butler Garter is commonly confused with an Eastern Plains Garter Snake, according to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources web page, but I am going to put my money on the Butler's Garter Snake.
    They can be found in Ontario in Canada; and in Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin in the United States.
    Butler's do carry toxins in their salavia and can cause mild reactions in humans, but are not considered dangerous to people, although you don't want to pick them up when you stumble across one because they can excrete a foul smelling musk when handled too much.
    Interestingly enough they are ovoviviparous, which means they hatch their babies inside of the mother's body before being born, or immediately following coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CALEB'S POST: I think it may be a Butler Garter Snake.
    I found it on the Google search up on the top right corner on a mac. I looked up green and black snake, then I looked up Wisconsin snakes and found it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI: Caleb did his own search and did not read mine or Leah's posts before he did his posting. Good Job Caleb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job Caleb; you are very smart to be able to do this on your own...good job!

    ReplyDelete