Friday, October 15, 2010

Bob Played the Bagpipe

The other day Mary and I were in Manitowoc, and decided to stop by the lake, take in the view, and enjoy some fresh air. It was a beautiful day; the sky was clear and the temperature was in the low 60s; it was a beautiful day to slack off. We stopped at a lakeside scenic overlook, rolled down the windows and turned off the car. It was at that moment I heard the sound that is the brunt of comedy sketches; but I loved it. I love live entertainment. Bob was playing the bagpipe. This was live music and he was the real deal.

One of the only other vehicles in the parking lot was a semi-tractor and trailer; I thought to myself this is so crazy, a bag pipe playing, over the road truck driver. I took some pictures from a distance but as I listened to Bob, the bagpipe playing trucker, I knew I wanted to hear his story. So I walked over and struck up a conversation. He was a great guy, taking his lunch break.

One day Bob was invited to a chili dinner by a neighbor who was part of a group of Irish bagpipers. Bob was very interested that first year and loved the music, being Irish himself he thought it struck a chord inside. When the invitation came again for the annual event, he accepted and took a deeper interest. When lessons came up during the dinner as a possibility, Bob jumped at the opportunity. The instructor told Bob that it might take two years to get "good" at the bagpipe; but after seven months Bob was already passing up his teacher.

Bob has been playing now for a little over two years now and is in a Bagpipe marching band that has it's home in Milwaukee (somewhere). The band will be playing and marching in Door County in a little town called Fish Creek (I think) on the 17th of October. When they are done with the parade route they will very likely continue marching until they find a local pub.

Bob showed me how the bagpipe works; all 4 of the reed locations, where and how to tune a bagpipe, and how to inflate and deflate the bag. When you practice you do not need to play the bag, you can practice with a finger piece that makes a sound all by itself; it is much less distracting to the neighbors than playing the whole instrument.

 I know that I am a nerdy sort of person, but I was fascinated and amazed that this guy would take up bagpiping after he was 50 something years old. I was inspired by Bob. Bob has a neighbor who also plays the bagpipe, but not in the same band that Bob plays in however. Can you believe that there is more than one band of bagpipers in the same city? Bob is an Irish bagpiper; but there are others that are Scottish bagpipers; that is so cool. But I never knew. I am sure there are lots of things I don't know...I don't know what they are, yet, but I am sure they are out there, and I am going to find out what it is that I don't know. Know what I mean?

Bob Rocks on the Bagpipe!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great idea for a book..."Things I didn't know I didn't know..." If you write it like you are writing these blogs...I think it would be a great book. Especially with your photos and stories like this guy, Bob. I'd buy it.

    ReplyDelete