Monday, October 18, 2010

The Tower of Refuge

On a small island in the middle of the Irish Sea is the Island of Man; about half way between Liverpool in England and Belfast in Ireland. The Tower of Refuge is an instantly recognisable feature of Douglas Harbour built on top of Conister rocks which are submerged at high tide. Prior to the building of the refuge the rocks had claimed many lives. This small castle was built as a place of rest and safety for sailors. It's towers stocked with fresh water and bread. It was built in 1832.


Yesterday I was able to fill in for a pastor in another city because he was spending time with family in another state. We were blessed to be there and had a great fellowship with the people from that church. In one of my sermons I spoke about refuge and refugees. I am not referring to people who come to America who are suffering some sort of persecution in their own countries; not exactly anyway. I am referring to people who may be suffering that need a place of refuge. 


Our society operates on a basic economic principle of supply and demand. For example; I might need someone to paint the inside of my house, I simply go to the phone book and find a business who is able to fill my need. We have employers who need employees to meet their demands, and potential employees who need employment that could fill the demand of an employer; simple. We have people who as a job sell, and others folks who need the things that they sell, and they buy. There are no doubt hundreds of examples of how this system works; there are doctors and patients, teachers and students, even massagers (hello Jennifer) and massagees, (is that a word?...people who pay to get a massage) but what about refugers for the refugees.


It gets kind of fuzzy sometimes when someone comes to our church or into our home that might stretch our Christian world view; widows, single mothers, the sick, hurting, abused, and dying. I do not have all of the answers but I do know someone who cares and has written a love letter that addresses all of these needs and more. I have been in church and honestly smelled a person coming, before I saw him coming. I wonder sometimes would I make a "Good Samaritan"? I hope that I never forget where it was that I came from; I had a wonderful family don't get me wrong, but I still had serious needs. I needed a Savior. Every single one of us was, or is, damaged and stained by our situations, sin and satan. I don't mean to sound "preachy", but we rub shoulders with people almost everyday, who desperately need Jesus.


In the Bible a woman was taken in the very act of adultery and they brought her to Jesus. Where was Jesus? In the temple; or church. The men who accused her brought her to "church" for judgement and condemnation. That does not sound like a very safe refuge, for a stained and broken life does it. Not all churches are like that, When I needed a place of refuge I did find it at a church altar where I met Jesus. Moses and Joshua established cities of refuge where people could go for protection if they accidently killed someone. They could plead their case and find safety inside the walls of that city. The church of God needs to be a place of safety. Are all churches safe? Are all people safe? No. We are all human we all make mistakes.


Sometimes as Christians we lose our balance. Church is a wonderful place where we try to meet the needs of our communities, and it still works. We are able to hear from the Word of God and worship together which is vital to our walk with Jesus. But our balance does not come from various church departments, or outreaches to the needs that people have. We must fall in love with Jesus. He is the one who looked beyond all of our faults and failures (and still does in my case) and loves us. He is a safe place our refuge in a time of storm. Many lives are lost and others damaged on the rocks of sin, but Jesus is our Tower of Refuge. 


Let's find our refuge in the Lord.


Psalms 46:1 God is our refuge and strengtha very present help in trouble.

Check out the Isle of Man and the Tower of Refuge:
http://www.iomguide.com/towerrefuge.php


To check out Jesus contact me I will tell you about him. He can meet your need.

No comments:

Post a Comment