Thursday, October 7, 2010

Tell Them

A young fella rushed into a service station and asked the manager if he had a pay phone. The manager nodded, "Sure, over there." The boy pushed in some change, dialed, and waited for an answer. Finally, someone came on the line. "Uh, sir," he said in a deep voice, "could you use an honest, hardworking young man to work for you?" The station manager couldn't help overhearing the question. After a moment or two the boy said, "Oh, you already have an honest, hardworking young man? Well, okay. Thanks just the same." With a broad smile stretched across his face, he hung up the phone and started back to his car, humming and obviously elated. "Hey, just a minute!" the station manager called after him. "I couldn't help but hear your conversation. Why are you so happy? I thought the guy said he already had somebody and didn't need you?" The young man smiled. "Well, you see, I am the honest, hardworking young man. I was just checking up on my job!"


I know it is a cute story but it tells of the need everyone of us has; affirmation. I need to someone to tell me once in awhile that they think I am doing a good job or that they appreciate me, and love me. I know it is not very manly to say "I love you" to another man, or speak of feelings, or hard lessons learned but we add to others lives when we do. If your son or daughter is doing a good job in school; tell them, it cost nothing and you are building and adding into their lives (like elephants they won't easily forget). What is even more important to remember is that they need to hear it every now and then. They need to know that you think the world of them; that goes for kids, spouses, grandkids, co-workers, bosses (suck-up), mentors, Pastors, Sunday School teachers; the list goes on and on.


Does everyone need this type of reassurance and affirmation? Yes if the truth were told we all have a proverbial "itch" and kind words are the only way to "scratch" it.


I remember I was was called into a friends office one day; I sat down and he began to tell me about how a couple of people got together and began to accuse me of some things that were not true. He listened until they were done and explained that he knew me, and what they were saying could not possibly be true, and that the accusations surely were unfounded. He explained the accusations to me and asked if they were true; I said no and the case was closed. I must tell you, it made me feel great that a friend would stand up for me, and say good things about me when I was not there to defend myself. But I cannot tell you how It felt to hear him repeat those things so I could hear what he really thought of my character and integrity; it was amazing.


If you think someone is doing a good job tell them. Don't just tell others about them; tell them.

If we do not build into the lives of others they will look other places to be affirmed. Not just our family members either. Church people, work people, neighbor people, sick people, and healthy people. "Fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks, tough kids sissy kids even kids with chicken pox"...(old Oscar Meyer TV commercial). We all want it, we all need it.


We are all so busy, and we are watching kids turning to each other, and these groups of kids are getting into trouble trying to find attention and affirmation. Dad your daughter needs a hug and a kiss on the cheek, she needs to know that you think she is special. If you drop the ball on this one thing, she may look to a boy at school to fill the need for love from her dad; the boy will only take advantage of her and cause heartache for the whole family. 

If you really want to add something lasting to my life or the lives of people you know; don't buy us something, tell us something

No comments:

Post a Comment