Friday, November 5, 2010

The Hope of Our Destination

I was sorting through digital picture files that I had stored on disks and came across a treasure chest of pictures I had forgotten that I had taken. For years now I have been curious about what the art work on memorial stones meant. One of the really common ones a person might come across in an old cemetery is the pointing finger.

The pointing finger represents the hope of heaven, which is why it is pointed up. We have a hope as well. You know if a person loses sight of their goal the endeavor will very likely become a chore and a drudgery. There is always an excitement involved in the beginning of an adventure, and a reward or satisfaction at the completion. But sometimes the middle gets a little mundane and boring. We need to slow down a little, take a break, a deep breath and ask ourselves; why did I get involved in this to begin with?  Have I forgotten where am I going? Am I still on course?

Teenagers are no longer children, and not quite adults so they get into all sorts of "things" trying to figure life out. Mom and Dad set them on a path and they are not sure that it is a path they would have chosen if they were given the option. My wife became a stay at home mom when the kids hit this place in their teens. If ever a person needs direction in their life it is a teenager. The stage of growing; not being a child and not being an adult, can be difficult.


Middle aged people and empty nesters, can lose sight of what their life is all about. This is an important place to stop and ask yourself a few questions. Before, you leave your spouse and sell all of your belongings to live in a condo on the beach. We can lose sight of where we are headed and why we got involved in all of this to begin with. We do have a destination; a reward for staying true to our life's purpose and journey.

When things get a little hazy, call on your Friend and let Him point the way. Jesus said, "I am the Way the Truth, and the Life."

Keep your eyes on the prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment