Monday, November 29, 2010

I AM NOT A LOSER!

So I just watched the ending of "The Kid" for the 50th time, I never get tired of it. The premise of the movie is that a very successful image consultant is having a 40th birthday, this guy has everything that he could want but he has no one to share it with. Very successful yes, but a lonely none the less. A younger version of himself comes from the past, (1968) to help him out, but neither one knows what to do. At the end of the movie a future version of himself comes from the future to help them both see that the troubles and emptiness is not forever, things do get better. At the end of the movie Bruce Willis screams, "I am not a loser."

The movie sounds and is a little far fetched at first, but it was recommended by someone I trust as a reliable judge of safe entertainment; my daughter. She kept telling me that I would like the movie, and that "The Kid" sort of reminded her of me. Well now I gotta see myself in movies, so I watched. What a great movie, good family entertainment.

This may be personal, but I can look back and remember what it was like to be an innocent kid with lots of flaws and not a lot of friends. I can also see where I am now and desire more in my life, but being cognizant of mistakes and shortcomings in my past, get a little stuck, not knowing if I should move ahead or stay put. Take a risk or play it safe. I can name a few times where I really thought "this" was what I was going to do, and not have it pan out. So I could very easily be "gun shy" about life.

What I would like is for me to come back from the future, and tell me (in the present) that everything turns out great. Or that staying put, is a big mistake and as a matter of fact actually shortened my life. Yeah what I need are some guarantees that my life will turn out great. Yes, some guarantees. The problem is, and herein lies the rub; there are no guarantees. But I do have assurances. The Word of God.

The Bible tells us to, Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not to your own understanding, in all of your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path. The Lord knows my shortcomings and my flaws and still has a place for me in His service. If I trust Him, He will lead me. I do not mean to sound pretentious but if you would trust the Lord with your life, you will have a life that is full. Jesus came to give us life, and life more abundantly.

I have read the same book numerous times; "The Tale Of Three Kings". It caused me to soul search, and at the same time help me understand the Lord a little better. I was talking to a friend who had read the same book but did not like it because it did not give enough of the answers that he would have liked, to which I reply, that is what walking by faith is. We do not have all of the answers God does not always tell us what He is thinking or doing. I do not get to have an old me from the future come to assure me everything is going to be alright, you and I must walk by faith and trust the Lord with each and every day of our lives. He will take care of us.

If we do, we will be able to say, "I do not understand everything", but we will most assuredly be able to say," I AM NOT A LOSER!"

1 comment:

  1. Good points, especially at this time of year when one reflects on the past and looks toward the future. I love that scripture! Trust me, if I had to trust in my own understanding.. well, you get the pictue. I've made some bad decisions, but I am not a loser either!

    ReplyDelete