Saturday, November 13, 2010

Honkey Man

The craziest thing happened to me yesterday. I was sitting in my car while I was waiting for Mary to go inside the school to get our grand-daughter from pre-school. I get sort of restless waiting in situations like that so I decided that I was going to sort through the change that I keep in my cup holder; a little boring maybe but safe, or so I thought.

First I started looking for wheat pennies, and found none. Then I started checking for the dates on nickels, dimes and quarters, and really found nothing very interesting except for a 1978 quarter. I got a little nostalgic as I recalled a few of the things that happened that year; 1978 was the year that I got married to my first (and current) wife, Mary. So I slid the quarter into the crack between the steering wheel and the part of the steering wheel that actually honks the horn; a perfect fit...NOT. The quarter slipped down in inside the steering wheel and it makes noise when I drive: no big deal right...NOT.


I went to Wal-Mart after we picked up Olivia but on the way we stopped at a stop light and you guessed, the horn started to honk; loud and long. I could not get it to stop until I turned the wheel to make the turn. So I got on the interstate and was headed to Wal-Mart, at least the horn stopped blowing. As I was pulling into the parking lot there was a little confusion (there always is at Wal-Mart) as to who was turning where and who had the right of way, but no big deal, until my horn went off again. Loud and extra long.

I am slapping the steering wheel trying to get the horn to stop, while motioning to other drivers that something was wrong with my car, and hoping at the same time that I would not activate the air bag and ruin my otherwise handsome face with a broken nose. I parked the car, the horn shut off and went into the store. All the way home it honked whenever it felt like honking; Help me Jesus!

It still is not fixed and the horn still goes off at times when you turn the wheel, and the dealership said it would only cost about $130.00 to fix; all because I wanted to save a quarter.

I am glad that summer is done, I would not want to be stopped at a stop sign behind a motorcycle gang, and have the horn go off.

1 comment:

  1. This story made my morning!
    How funny! But not really for you though, or the victims of your random honking. =)I would have been so embarrassed.. and WAL*MART of all places. That place probably has the most people/cars per square foot than any other place in Wausau!

    ReplyDelete