Saturday, November 20, 2010

Honkey Man (revisited)

Last night after I had fallen to sleep I heard this soft but slowly swelling sound interrupting my sleep; it was after midnight. The car horn! I jumped up ran out to the garage and gave the steering wheel a jerk and the sound stopped. So I went back to bed and really hoped that it would not happen again, after all I have been driving the car for days and not one beep. I was awakened again by my wife telling me it was happening again, but even before she spoke I could hear the droning of the car horn slowly building to a scream as I was being dragged from a restless sleep by the sound; for crying out loud it is after 3 AM.

So with a little encouragement I took matters into my own hands and fixed my car today. It was cold so I used my heater to warm up the garage. I unplugged the SRS airbag fuse, no deployment, so waited to work up more courage. I took a star tipped screwdriver and loosened the screws (there was quite a bit of horn honking while I did this) and removed the airbag unit. The quarter was lodged all right but I got it out. No more warm fuzzy nostalgia for me. I put everything back together and it all turned out fine, so I replaced the fuse and turned on the ignition and the airbag light went off. Now the car is fixed. Mary is happy, which makes my life a little more manageable, and I wont need to give the mechanic $130.00 after all, so I am happy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment