Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Home School Day

Today, the Tuesday after Labor Day was always the first day of Home School at our house, when my kids were in young. The definition of a school is "an institution for the education of children" or an "educational  institution". What better place to educate children than home. I know it is not for everyone and it is a great deal of work. However, to throw a group of children together, place in them in the same class room with the common thread of their gathering being that they were born in the same year, and expecting them all to learn the same way seems a little...I don't know; we chose homeschooling 

We started homeschooling when our kids were in the 4th and 3rd grade; Hank started first, Christal and Avery began the next fall after completing 2nd grade. So here is nod to homeschooling. I love birding and I am a photographer; what a great combination. I used to chase people around with a plastic camera and try to take their pictures when I was about 10 years old, (I still have some of the pictures to prove it). So now I chase birds around and take pictures.

Fall migration has begun, the Humming Bird will be leaving soon, but other types of birds will still be passing through. One of my favorite fall migration birds is the Yellow Rumped Warbler; they are more colorful in the spring time. Nesting all summer and taking care of fledglings (baby birds) takes a lot of energy and their color fades. There are lots of these passing through so keep your eyes peeled. They love bugs and stick to the trees more than feeders, but all birds need water and that is where I got this picture; at my bird bath. He is called a Yellow Rump because he has one.

So keep your eyes open, the birds are out there. Maybe you could start a list and see how many types of birds you see; we have birds all year long. It would be a good home school project. I will post more bird pictures another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment